Schezuan sauce is a spicy and pungent sauce made with dry red chilies, garlic, shallots, and spices. It is a fusion Indo Chinese recipe of a hot chili sauce. This is one of the most popular sauce recipes from the Indo Chinese cuisine. Schezwan sauce is a versatile red chili garlic sauce and can also be had as a dip.
It can be made and stored in the freezer in an airtight container for a month. Although it’s readily available in shops, a fresh homemade sauce always has a more vibrant taste.
- 15 whole dry Kashmiri red chilies
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 5 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Vinegar
- Salt To taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
Method for Schezuan Sauce
- Soak the chillies in a deep bowl with enough hot water for 1 hour.
- Drain out all the water from the chillies and save it. Roughly chop the chillies and add them to the mixer along with 5 tbsp of the soaking water and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions, celery, garlic and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chilli paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato ketchup and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute while stirring occasionally.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container. Use as required.