Spread the love
Diver Scallops with Red and Golden Baby Beets is the sweet combination of Scallops with Beets. When you cook Red and Golden beets cook them in separate bags as described so as to maintain their individual colors.
- 14 to 20 red and golden baby beets, tops removed, beets peeled and halved (keep colors separate)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 6 peppercorns
- 8 large diver scallops
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 3 or 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- Grapeseed oil for searing
- To prepare the beets, set the Sous Vide Professional to 185°F (85°C), with the rear pump flow switch closed and the front flow switch set to fully open.
- Place the red and golden beets in separate vacuum bags and add the orange juice, lime zest, lime juice and peppercorns, dividing evenly.
- Seal the bags to vacuum.
- Once the target temperature of 185°F (85°C) is reached, place the bags in the circulating water bath.
- Cook the beets to the desired doneness, 45 to 75 minutes.
- Remove the bags from the circulating water and remove the beets from the bags.
- To prepare the scallops, set the Sous Vide to 125°F (52°C), with the rear pump flow switch closed and the front flow switch set to fully open.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Place the scallops in a small vacuum bag and add the thyme sprigs, lemon zest and shallot.
- Seal the bag to the desired vacuum; for delicate shellfish, 80% to 90% vacuum is desirable. This will ensure the scallops are not compressed under vacuum, compromising the integrity of the delicate muscle fibers.
- Once the target temperature of 125°F (52°C) is reached, place the bag in the circulating water.
- Cook the scallops to the desired doneness, 15 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the bag from the circulating water and carefully remove the scallops from the bag. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- In a very hot pan, warm grapeseed oil add the scallops and sear until a golden crust forms on both sides. Serve the scallops with the beets. Serves 3 or 4.